Throgmorton Street

   The English center of finance and business—Throgmorton Street—was named for Sir Nicholas Throgmorton (1515-1571), head of the Warwickshire family and ambassador to France and Scotland in the reign of Elizabeth I. The stock exchange is situated there, making it for England what Wall Street is to the United States.
   No one knew when the street was named that it would become a hallmark of finance and that the character of the operations on Throgmorton Street would be of the highest legitimate order. If crystal balls could have predicted its legitimacy, another name might have been selected because Mr. Throgmorton was not free from criminal intrigue. He was a devious character who served two stretches in the Tower, once for alleged complicity in the Wyatt Rebellion, and the second for a spirited plot to become a matchmaker—to marry Mary, Queen of Scots, to the Duke of Norfolk.
   The center of finance in the United States had no such aristocratic inheritance. Wall Street was named after an old wall built in 1653 by Peter Stuyvesant across lower Manhattan to protect the Dutch colonists. At that time the wall was the most northern boundary of the city.

Dictionary of eponyms. . 2013.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Throgmorton Street — is a street in the City of London between Lothbury to the west and Old Broad Street to the east. It is named after Sir Nicholas Throckmorton, chief banker of England in the reign of Queen Elizabeth and head of an ancient Warwickshire family. The… …   Wikipedia

  • Throgmorton Street —    South west from No.70 Old Broad Street to 41 Lothbury. In Broad Street Ward (P.O. Directory).    First mention: Throkmorton Street (S. 1598, p.137). Throgmorton Street (ib. 140). Formerly called Broad Street (q.v.). Parish of St. Bartholomew… …   Dictionary of London

  • Throgmorton Street — …   Useful english dictionary

  • Angel Court, Throgmorton Street —    North out of Throgmorton Street at No. 34a (P.O. Directory).    It leads to Copthall Court and is in Broad Street and Coleman Street Wards.    First mention: O. and M. 1677. Spelt Angell Court (Horwood, 1799).    Strype describes it as in his… …   Dictionary of London

  • New Court, Throgmorton Street —    South out of Throgmorton Street, in Broad Street Ward, at No.8 (P.O. Directory).    First mention; O. and M. 1677 …   Dictionary of London

  • Bartholomew Court, Throgmorton Street —    See Throgmorton Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Crown Court, Throgmorton Street —    See White Lyon Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Falcon Court, Throgmorton Street —    See Faulcon Court …   Dictionary of London

  • Katherine Court, Throgmorton Street —    See Catherine Court1 …   Dictionary of London

  • Throgmorton Court —    South Qut of Throgmorton Street. In Broad Street Ward (Horwood, 1799).    Former names: Bartholomew Court (O. and M. 1677 Boyle, 1799).    Site is now occupied by the Alliance Assurance Co. s office.    Named Bartholomew Court after the Church …   Dictionary of London

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.